Sunday, December 11, 2005

The Shock Has Not Worn Off. Yet.

When I came to study in Peyups, I knew that things will totally be different from high school. And why not? To expect otherwise would be foolhardy, not to mention naïve. Drugs, booze, sex… I expected to find them all over the place. I prepared myself for dysfunctional traffic lights, potential hold- uppers, and bad influences. I primed myself to face the heavy academic requirements a school like UP would probably challenge me with. Most importantly, though, I replenished my wardrobe.
Well, hey, I shall not go down in shabby clothes.
Hence, I entered the threshold of the College of Arts and Sciences flashing my ID and twirling my be- glittered skirt. I endeavored to look and feel unshaken whatever happens. Contrary to my expectations, though, there was no evidence of drugs, booze and sex anywhere (yet anyway). The traffic lights seem to be fine (except that sometimes the vehicles on the lane seem to be reluctant to stop at the red light). There were many people who looked suspicious, but they’ve never been near me. As to academics, the subjects were not that heavy, and I have not (yet) incurred an unforgiving ire from any of the professors.
What then? The most shocking things I have encountered in Peyups were not within my expectations to cope with.
So here.

1. There are actually people who use red ink for titles in their notebooks. Nakakawindang! Sometimes, I thoroughly fascinate myself whenever I watch my block mates use black and red ink interchangeably in a flurry of notes. I don’t know what to make of it. I have never heard of it. I spend long tracts of time just pondering the reason behind it. Well, maybe they just want their notes neat with the titles easily discernible. But…can’t they just underline or bold them? Hmm. Try ko nga rin. In violet ink.

2. The comfort rooms are new and in pink. The toilet bowls are gleaming white. But. There is usually no water to flush them with. Hah?! Labanan ang 65M UP budget cut! The frustration! The horror! Sometimes there are hideous things floating in the toilet bowls. And trust me. What they are? You don’t want to know…

3. There are actually gay men. With guy boyfriends. *shudder*. This is really very ignorant and moronic of me to say it, but what the hell. Not that I have anything against gay people, but I really find it hard to swallow. I still find it really hard to swallow! See, I came from a school where a guy is a guy and a girl is a girl. Gay relationships were unheard of, they were not even thought of. I mentally rock my knees and suck my thumb when I myself think about it and its implications. Less humans inhabiting the planet? Why not!
Lizette: Totoo bang lalaki yung ex niya?
Cc: Oo.
Lizette: (Looks outside the bus window)
Lizette: *drools*

The shock has not worn off.
Yet.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi lizette! padaan lang. hehe. may mga kakaibang graffiti sa mga cubicles ng cr niyo?

7:44 AM  
Blogger Ferretti shoes said...

naku denise, hindi graffiti, mga bagay na lumulutang lang naman na hindi ganong...kaaya- aya. basta! at kamusta na?

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe. ang weird nga eh, nagdedebate sila sa banyo. kung dapat ipaabort o hindi. wahaha, at ang daming humihingi ng tips. naakashock talaga. hehe. ewan ko sa kanila. eto ok lang, buhay pa naman. punta ka sa diliman sa 15 kung wala kang class. hehe. makasaysayang oblation run at lantern parade na hindi ko alam kung sinong college lang ang kasali. wahaha. good luck sa mga palutang-lutang! hehe.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Ferretti shoes said...

wala ngang kasulat- sulat sa banyo namin eh...wala...pa! bago kasi. kagagawa lang yata ngayong taon. oblation run? ano oras yun?

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thursday, 12 NN sa AS steps hehehe.

9:27 AM  
Blogger just press start said...

gay relationships here are soo legal! DI AKO SANAY NAKAKAKITA! hahah! know what? kung meron girl-girl, meron ding guy-guy. no gay, but two guys...u can even see some of them on commercials, its like there is this guy telling on tv how he found the right guy, and all made possible by this hotline..just call: 1-800-blahblah....hahaha...so weird here!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Ferretti shoes said...

eeeeeeeeeee! wala naman akong probelma sa same sex relationship, pero hindi pa rin talaga ako sanay. nahihirapan pa rin akong tanggapin...pero i guess when the time comes it will be the most normal thing in the world, like women smoking and men wearing pink.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home