Monday, June 26, 2006

Not An Addict

My favorite band now is K’s Choice. All I know is that they’re from Belgium…which means that I should know more. I’ve never become a fan of anyone, yet. And K’s Choice comes along.

From their song ‘Not an Addict’:

It’s not a habit it’s cool
I feel alive
If you don’t have it you’re on the other side
I’m not an addict
Maybe that’s a lie

Not really tons impressive, but I love the melody. The song begins with a sort of desperate sob, segues into angry minor notes and then bursts into a chorus bitter and happy at the same time.

From ‘Virgin State of Mind’:

There’s a chair in my head
In which I used to sit
Took a pencil and I wrote
The following on it
Now there’s a key where my wonderful mouth
Used to be
Dig it up and throw it at me
Dig it up and throw it at me

Now, this sounds…medieval. If you played Final Fantasy 8, its overtones would be a little similar to the sound when Ultimecia appears. The song’s lead and rhythm are done in flute and violins, the drums are subdued, and there is no screeching electric guitar. Very gothic. Oh yeah, I think it was from the series ‘Buffy The Vampire Slayer’.

From ‘Paradise in Me’:

Consuming far too much
Ignoring the will to touch
The ones who don’t have food at all

So beat me up
And smash my brand new TV
To help me look for
A little peace
A paradise in me

I think the song is a statement about how shitty the developed countries treat the Third World. The song is very linear…no brilliant leads or prodigy drum-playing. No build-up. Just a quick intro with an electric guitar, quick drums, and before you know it, it’s over.
I just like the words in it.

Now what makes them special? Hm. The voice, I think. The lead singer has a low, husky, paos voice. It’s the kind of voice you would normally hear in a jazz song, but she’s doing rock.

Other musicians I like now: Colin Bailey Rae, Plumb, Mojofly, Oasis, Barbie. I also like Kamikazee, Parokya ni Edgar (siyempre!!!), 3 Doors Down, Vertical Horizon, Hale, Chantal Kreviazuk, Tori Amos, Goo Goo Dolls, Duncan Sheik, Adam Sandler, Indigo Girls (and not just their ‘Power of Two’…spare me the typecasting. What other song of theirs do you know?), Session Road, Lisa Loeb, Dido etc. I don’t really know how to classify my kind of music. Do you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home