Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Year's Eve and Margaret Atwood

Really, I'm not as gloomy and cynical as I make myself out to be. I'm pretty nice while being pretty mean. And while I do wear black most of the time, I have this great sense of humor that very, er, few people appreciate. Okaaay. I know, I know. Pathetic.

So the relatives all went for a visit to Lola's house, which is just around the corner from ours. The usual scrutiny follows: Lizette, why is your hair so thin? Lizette, how's you and your boyfriend? Will you take up Law after you graduate? And so on so forth. The plus here is that as I get older, the questions are less embarrassing. Because now I know how to evade and avoid such potential disasters. Tee hee.

Anyway, in between trips to Lola's and the fridge, I tried reading Margaret Atwood's Cat's Eye. Well, I gave up on it. It's simply not the sort of book you read during New Year's Eve unless you're manic depressive. Which I'm not, contrary to popular belief (defensive). Haunting---the word to describe Cat's Eye. It's the story of Elaine, a woman seeking release from the memory of her childhood bestfriend, Cordelia. In the style of Margret Atwood, all events, even the littlest (like the smell of rat pee in the Zoology building) are rendered as drama. She pays great attention to detail and atmosphere; every line reads like a verse in a poem. To appreciate the book in it's entirety, however, one must be in a particular frame of mind. Preferably the depressed, ruminative kind.

So. I can't wait to get back to school on Thursday. I'm rotting here, right here where I'm sitting. I need the polluted Manila air to rid me of this holiday lethargy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you take up Law? Hehe. Anyway, I hope Manila's polluted air already washed away the lethargic feeling.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Ferretti shoes said...

man, i'm cured after a nice stroll in pedro gil. i mean, you cant afford to be lethargic there, besides half of it being an open sewer, your belongings are in constant danger. so i'm all very well now, thank you.

i may take up Law, if i don't get too lazy. there's a study that you can live longer if you stay in school longer. yay. we'll see, when i get desperate. XP

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home